The mission of Salem United Methodist Preschool is to provide a high quality early childhood learning experience for children of preschool age. The preschool extends home experience by providing group learning for children of Salem United Methodist Church and the community. Emphasis is placed on the development and individuality of each child. Young children are nurtured in an atmosphere that encourages intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and spiritual growth.
• Provide a wide variety of developmentally appropriate activities for cognitive growth.
• Encourage communication skills, increase vocabulary, and provide opportunities for language development.
• Develop listening skills and provide pre-reading activities.
• Develop a love of learning, exploring, observing and questioning.
• Heighten sensory awareness in children by incorporating them in learning activities.
• Provide activities that encourage sharing and cooperating.
• Encourage the child to recognize the rights of others and be empathetic.
• Develop trust and confidence in other children and adults.
• Assist in social development and provide opportunities for independent social interaction.
• Build a positive self-image in each child and confidence in their abilities.
• Assist children in recognizing their emotions and expressing their feelings in an acceptable manner.
• Encourage self control and to balance independence and control.
• Assist children in reaching mutually agreeable solutions when social conflicts arise.
• Encourage confidence in their physical abilities and pride in their accomplishments.
• Provide a variety of physical activities appropriate for the individual needs of the children.
• Develop knowledge and a wholesome attitude for their body and bodily functions.
• Encourage physical activities as an integral part of all learning.
• Provide knowledge of God’s world and their integration in that world.
• Encourage responsibility in the children and respect and caring for others.
• Develop a love of self, others, and all forms of life.
• Provide opportunities for the children to develop their moral being.