What is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry is a nationwide program and was named after Stephen, the first lay person appointed by the Disciples to “go out and help meet the needs of the people.” Stephen Ministry is a complete system for equipping lay persons to provide distinctively Christian one-to one care to those who are experiencing all kinds of life needs and circumstances, both in our congregation and community. For more information about Stephen Ministry click here.
Stephen Ministers are committed Christian people who ...
1. express God's care through their lives to others;
2. receive 50 hours of initial training in important caring ministry skills and concepts;
3. are commissioned as Stephen Ministers after completing their initial training;
4. visit another person regularly and dependably and offer Christian support and care;
5. participate in regular support and supervision under the guidance of trained Stephen Leaders;
6. are committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship;
7. serve for at least two years;
8. receive continuing education and skill building throughout their years of service.
2016 Stephen Ministry Training Class
Stephen Ministry training will begin in the fall of 2016. For more information about this ministry, the time commitment required, an application, or questions please contact the church office, Rev. Sheila Bouie-Sledge, or Rev. Terri Swan.